Note: Pages about areas of Slough such as this one are based on historic or accepted common usage rather than the artificial boundaries of the wards as set up by the Local Government Boundary Commission.
For simplicity this page combines the two wards in the south-east of Slough, Cippenham Green and Cippenham Meadows. The residential area of Cippenham is almost totally confined by the Bath Road, the M4 motorway, the Huntercombe Spur and the A355 Tuns Lane. A large area of countryside spills over to the south of the motorway and includes a sizeable section of the Jubilee River.
The village pond
The name Cippenham comes from Old English and means Cippa’s homestead. In the late 19th century, Cippenham Green consisted of a pond, a green, farmland and a population of a little over 400.
Major residential expansion along the Bath Road began after the First World War as Slough Trading Estate began to develop. Further expansion occurred after the Second World War and since the 1980s, and even further development came with the building of the Windsor Meadows, Cippenham Meadows and Cedar Green housing estates. According to the 2011 census, the population of Cippenham Green was 9,447 and Cippenham Meadows was 12,116, giving a total of 21,563.
In 1988, ASDA superstore was opened and reportedly served between 8,000 and 10,000 customers on its first day. The retail park on Twinches Lane was built the following year.
In the 13th century, Henry III had a palace built at Cippenham. His brother Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, had a deer park created there. The palace is long gone but is thought to have been sited at Cippenham Moat which was discovered by early Victorian farmers. Several artefacts, particularly roof tiles of about the era, have been found there and it is now a listed monument. Cippenham Moat lies just north of ASDA store (must have been convenient) and part of the area is shown in the photograph beyond the bridge.
Incidentally, my late father, who lived nearby and used a disability scooter, contacted the local council to have this bridge installed as previously the path ended at the ditch which was difficult to negotiate. To Slough Borough Council’s credit it was built within a couple of weeks. It has become well used these days, particularly by ASDA customers from the housing development Cedar Park.
Cippenham Court Farm
First recorded in 1481, Cippenham Court Farm ranged from Farnham Royal to Dorney, and from Huntercombe Lane to the Three Tuns. It was owned by Eton College and the much diminished farm was still working until the mid-1960s. The original house didn’t survive but Cippenham Court was built on the site. Three barns did survive in varying forms of disrepair however, and have now each been restored to be used as seperate commercial properties.
The Long Barn
The Long Barn public house on Cippenham Lane is one of the three former barns still standing that once belonged to the original Cippenham Court Farm. This building dates from the 17th century and has some 18th century additions. The building was granted Grade II status in 1975.
The Long Barn has a large south-facing patio
Prior to becoming a pub, the Long Barn was actually a long barn for 300-400 years. In May 2013 Tommy Flynn’s took possession and completely removed the Long Barn signs in favour of signs bearing the name of the chain. In late 2014, I am pleased to report that Tommy Flynns has reapplied the name the Long Barn once more.
The Great Barn
The Old Barn
This is the third of the Cippenham Court barns. Built in the late 17th century, the building had fallen into a very poor state. It originally consisted of five timber-framed bays, one of which had collapsed beyond repair. A corrugated asbestos roof was fitted sometime in the early to mid-20th century.
Later it became quite derelict until 1987 when the structure was rebuilt with much of the original timber frame design in place. It was first occupied by Comdisco UK and named Comdisco House. The name was dropped after Comdisco left and is now known as the Old Barn.
The Old Barn
It is a fresh–looking building needing at least a second glance to realise its true age. The freshness is helped along by the colourful window blinds installed by the current occupants, the UK marketing division of STABILO. Best known for their highlighter pens, hence the colourful blinds. STABILO have been tenants here since 2008.
Schwan STABILO is a private German company founded in 1997 but with a history that can be traced back to the pencil manufacturing company Grossberger & Kurz Bleistiftfabrik formed in 1855. STABILO introduced fluorescent markers in 1971 and is the world’s largest manufacturer of highlighter pens.
The Old Barn, west side
Products manufactured by the STABILO group include: coloured pencils, ballpoint pens, marker pens and highlighter pens. The field of cosmetic products such as eye liner, mascara and lipstick comes under the Schwan Cosmetics brand. Outdoor equipment such as backpacks are made by Deuter Sport and ORTOVOX Sportartikel, the latter also being a brand of outdoor clothing.
The author expresses his grateful thanks to STABILO for their friendly cooperation with this article and photographic permissions. The website British Listed Buildings was also particularly useful for confirming historic details.
Cippenham Place was rebuilt in the 16th century and is a Grade II listed building. Like Cippenham Moat, pottery has been found on the property and evidence of earthworks along with an Anglo-Saxon moat. It has been suggested that this might have been the true site of the palace/hunting lodge whilst the Moat may have been a monastry.
Cippenham Place Granary
Built in 1709 for John Perryman then Sheriff of Buckinghamshire, Cippenham Lodge was once home to a farmer named Mr Twinch after whom Twinches Lane is named. Cippenham Lodge is sited on Cippenham Lane and is a Grade II listed building. It is currently occupied by The Look Inn, a market research venue provider.
Slough Sewage Treatment Works
Situated on the south side of the M4 motorway, Slough Sewage Treatment Works notoriously used to produce a particularly bad smell. It was blamed on the unique mix of industrial sewage from Slough Trading Estate as well as domestic sewage. At the time the sewage works was fairly isolated from residential housing and the smell usually dissipated over surrounding farm land.
During the 1980s, various chemical perfumes were tried to make to make the smell less distasteful but were not really satisfactory. The problem was resolved at some point in the 1990s partly due to Thames Waters efforts to neutralise the smell but it’s also thought to be due to changes in the type of industry on the trading estate.
Cormorants enjoying a clean environment
Environmental issues about the plant are even more positive these days. The waste left over from the treatment process is used to produce about 3·5 billion litres of biogas which is used to provide the site with 65% of its own energy needs. Even more recently, Thames Water invested in a nutrient recovery reactor which is the first of its kind in Europe. It extracts ammonia and phosphorus from waste which is then used to produce fertiliser.
The new reactor should produce some 150 tonnes of phosphate fertiliser reducing the need to import mined phosphate from countries such as the USA and China. The removal of the chemicals also and cleans the effluence from the sewage works which in turn improve the environment.
The airfield was recorded on the Automobile Association list as existing in 1932 but it had certainly been established quite some time before then. The area is now occupied by the Windsor Meadows housing estate. Access would surely have been off Chalvey Grove which was little more than a country road back then.
Chalvey Airfield was located in a 35 acre field known as the Big Pasture that was part of Manor Farm and sited west of Chalvey Grove which was little more than a country lane back then. The field has now been built on forming part of the Windsor Meadows housing estate and has been separated from the farm buildings by the M4 motorway and, more latterly, the Jubilee River.
The location of the airfield in terms of co-ordinates is given as N51°30’28” W0°37’23” or Ordnance Survey grid reference SU956 796. The runway was a grass strip and it had a maximum landing run of 520 yards. The orientation of the runway is likely to have been 05/23. The airfield identity code was X0CY and it was a category A airfield which means it had limited facilities.
Part of the Windsor Meadows housing estate showing the possible location of Chalvey Airfield and its runway
The land was owned by the Spackman family, hence Spackman’s Way, and on 19 June 1911 Walter Spackman leased the field to John Frederick Benton for the purposes of establishing the airfield. Benton was an electrical engineer born in 1883 in New South Wales, Australia, who lived in Pinkneys Green, Maidenhead. He had been experimenting with kites to lift aerials to give better performance to radios but he really wanted to build powered aircraft.
Benton had persuaded camera manufacturer William Allen to partner him on the project and having established the airfield with the erection of a hangar, they built their first aircraft. It was the BI Air-Car, a large pusher biplane powered by a 35hp water-cooled NEC engine. It only achieved a few short hops so they developed the BII which sadly was not much of an improvement.
In 1912 Benton and Allen switched to tractor configuration for their aircraft and built the BIII Air-Car which was a tractor biplane with the same 35hp engine. It flew more successfully and further development followed producing the BIV, BV, BVI and finally the BVII. The BVII had a wing that could be reduced in area by up to a third in flight.
William Allen died in 1914 and Benton went into business partnership with his widow, Sabina Rose Allen, and they tried to sell the BVI and BVII designs to the RFC, RNAS, French and Russian armed forces but they were unsuccessful. The last machine remained in the hangar until just after the First World War when it was scrapped.
The airfield continued to be operated after the First World War by an amateur flyer who owned a de Havilland Moth and a Monospar. It seems the airfield was closed by about 1937 for economic reasons.
My name is Gary Flint. To make comments on the contents of this website please click below:
Postcards from Slough is an independently funded website. We are open to offers of sponsorship from major companies that have any connections to the town. Please use the Comments button above to contact us.
For your information and entertainment, the site contains links to a number of YouTube videos. Whilst these links will be checked periodically, Postcards from Slough cannot accept responsibility for difficulties experienced in the use of these links.
Postcards from Slough gratefully uses images from Grace's Guide. Click on the button below:
Postcards from Slough contributes material to British Listed Buildings and uses the site for cross referencing purposes. Click on the button below: