Postcards from Slough
Postcards from Slough

Major exhibits

Miles Magister

Miles Magister L6906

 

The Magister two-seat training aircraft was built at Woodley Airfield as construction number 2078 and registered T9841. Later it took the civil registration G-AKKY. Much of the fuselage had to be rebuilt following the methods of its original construction.

Impression of Magister L6906

Handley Page Herald

Miles aircraft went out of business in 1946 and within two years Handley Page bought the factory and began its expansion to build their own aircraft. By the late 1950s they introduced the Herald short-haul airliner.

Handley Page Herald G-APWA

 

Built at Woodley, G-APWA was the third Herald built and was the first production model. It first flew in October 1959 and was loaned along with another Herald to Prince Philip for his 1962 tour of South America. The Prince logged nearly 100 flying hours as pilot for the trip.

Lavinia, possibly lost in wishful thoughts of warmer climes?

The purpose of the loan was to try to boost sales of the aircraft in South America which was seen as a key market for the Herald. Sadly it made little difference as its main competitors, the Fokker F27 and the Avro 748, were already well established. Only 49 Heralds were built including prototypes. A 50th airframe (c/n 193) was built but only used for water tank pressure testing. The last operational Herald was retired in 1999.

Impression of Herald G-APWA

 

G-APWA was rescued from Southend Airport in 1993 and 14,000 man hours were spent by the museums’ volunteers in its restoration. Another way to express that is to imagine one man working eight hours each day, with weekends off, bank holidays off and four weeks holiday per year. It would take that one man about seven and a half years to complete. The aircraft is open to visitors for embarkation and often there is a volunteer at hand to assist with any questions.

Fairey Gannet T.5

The Fairey Gannet was primarily designed as an Anti-Submarine Warfare aircraft (ASW). Gannets were constructed by Fairey Aviation at Hayes then shipped to their facility at White Waltham for final assembly and fitting out.

Fairey Gannet XG833

 

The Gannet at the museum is a T.5 Training version. It has dual controls and the instructor in the second cockpit, has a basic mirror periscope to allow him to see forward.

 Impression of Fairey Gannet T5 XG833

 

Gannet XG833 first flew in May 1957. It spent much of its life in storage but did serve with 849 NAS at RNAS Culdrose and later with the same unit at RNAS Brawdy. Owned by the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton it has been on loan to the Museum of Berkshire Aviation since March 1996.

Fairey Gannet T5 XG833

Westland Scout

Westland Scouts were built by Fairey Aviation at Hayes and shipped to White Waltham for final assembly and fitting out. A similar arrangement applied to the Scout naval sister, the Westland Wasp. The most obvious difference between the two was that the Scout had skids whilst the Wasp had a four-wheel undercarriage for ease of movement on ship flight decks.

Westland Scout XP849

 

The Westland Scout was a light utility helicopter serving with the British Army and a number of foreign armies. Often used on the battlefield in reconnaissance, casualty evacuation (CASEVAC) and light attack roles, it could also carry 3 or 4 troops depending on the type of rear doors fitted.

Impression of Westland Scout XP849.

It is actually wearing a bogus registration (see lower down)

 

The Wasp was an anti-submarine helicopter based on the Scout but it had a wheeled undercarriage rather than skids. It was designated HAS.1 (Helicopter Anti-Submarine mark 1). It was small enough to operate from Royal Navy frigates.

Westland Scout XP849

 

Scout XP849 has been on long term loan from a private individual since October 2010. It is presented in the colours and markings of the Empire Test Pilots School.

An impression of the museum’s Westland Scout in what may have been its original camoulflage and registration 

 

Scout XP849 is wearing a false registration. The real XP849 is another Scout which is based in New Zealand and is in flying condition. The correct registration of the museum’s aircraft is XP895 and the illustration above is an impression of how it may have looked in army service.

Dave reading an extraordinarily interesting book

Other major exhibits at the museum

Click on an image to view an enlarged illustration then click on the cross in the lower left corner to minimise it.

Miles Student, G-MIOO, in manufacturer’s livery. This prototype was the only example ever built.

Miles Martinet, TF-SHC, in silver with civil Icelandic registration was a target tug originally serving with the RAF.

Elliotts SG.38 glider, G-ALMN. This training glider was built to a German design for the SG-38 Schulgleiter or school glider.

Fairey Jet Gyrodyne, XJ389 in manufacturer’s livery. This prototype is the only one of the two prototypes that remains in complete condition.

For more up to date information including opening days and times visit the Museum of Berkshire Aviation website  by clicking on the button:

My name is Gary Flint. To make comments on the contents of this website please click below:

Postcards from Slough is an independently funded website. We are open to offers of sponsorship  from major companies that have any connections to the town. Please use the Comments button above to contact us.

For your information and entertainment, the site contains links to a number of YouTube videos. Whilst these links will be checked periodically, Postcards from Slough cannot accept responsibility for difficulties experienced in the use of these links.

Postcards from Slough gratefully uses images from Grace's Guide.

www.gracesguide.co.uk

 

 

Postcards from Slough contributes material to British Listed Buildings and uses the site for cross referencing purposes.

www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk

Print Print | Sitemap
© 2017 Postcards from Slough